This city she loves me!

Sometimes I feel like I don't have a partner
Sometimes I feel like my only friend
Is the city I live in, the city of angels
Lonely as I am, together we cry

I drive on her streets 'cause she's my companion
I walk through her hills 'cause she knows who I am
She sees my good deeds and she kisses the windy
Well, I never worry, now that is a lie

The Red Hot Chill Peppers song Under the Bridge, love it. One reason I like it so much is that I feel like this about Edinburgh. It's not my original home town but it's my home. I've had some bad times since I moved here, but I've changed and learned a lot, you could say I've grown up. It is here in Scotland that I have become a person that I like a lot.


I used to drive around Edinburgh late at night after the clubs closed and it felt like it was my city, "She's my companion". I actually get annoyed with the other drivers during the day, "get off my streets".


When I was having bad times there were some places that I would go to be by myself and think. "I walk through her hills," Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh is one of my favourite places. A hill curled like a dragon in the middle of a city, you can climb to the top and just watch city life. It is the perfect place to go to think.


"Lonely as I am, together we cry." When I'm upset and stressed I generally drive to the beach and watch the sea. As this is Scotland there is a good chance of grey skies and rain so it often matches my mood. There is a bit of river bank / beach where I take my dogs all year, again in the summer I find it hard to share my beach with others. The dogs love it there, perfect for a swim, shame about the people wearing white trousers.


The other place in Edinburgh that I love is the Pentland Hills they form the southern border of the city, there you can feel like there is no one else in the world. So peaceful but just 10 minutes from my city.


I love Scotland and Edinburgh "cause she knows who I am".

I'll tell you about the invasion that is the Edinburgh Festival some other time!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mrs. Midnight! How did you know that a sure fire way to my heart is quoting one of the best musicians I have had the pleasure of seeing in the past 20 years!

Edinburgh looks beautiful. I could only WISH to be there.

Michael said...

I was in Edinburgh for one weekend in February, you know. My mom and I did all the touristy stuff, and we also took a tour up to the Highlands, Inverness, Ness and the foot of Ben Nevis. Edinburgh seemed very quiet to me, but I'm sure that's only because I wasn't allowed to go out.

I need to stop going on holiday with my mother...

Mrs Midnite said...

Oh I've seen the chillies too, but it was spoilt a bit by sitting in a really boring section!

Edinburgh is great, Mikey it is sort of quiet as cities go especially if you stick to the centre. If you know it well you can see all its sides and in August it is mental. I go on holiday with my mum occassionally but she does let me out as ong as she can come too.

Post a Comment

About me

My photo
30 something female, GSOH, independent, unreliable, seeks sanity. Must like dogs and handbags!