I struggle making some of the easy decisions that occur everyday, like should I have dessert or not, and if yes then what should it be? Or which handbag to buy? That's how I end up buying 5, they are all so nice.
So imagine the difficulty when it comes to really big, life changing decisions.
With the situation at work I am trying to decide if I am going to stay put and see how it turns out, or start looking at options now.
The company are closing 2 of the 4 Scottish sites, my job is safe but it will be different. Whatever I do there will be changes. I could move for a complete change or stay put for a potentially complete change.
I've been there nearly 10 years, maybe now is the time to move?
Some of the possible outcomes of staying put look exciting but some don't, it's a risk waiting to see which way it goes. There are a few opportunities floating about that interest me but I have some new job fear going on, what if I don't like it?
I visited our new site in Italy last week and the boss there seemed keen for me to go back for a longer visit and get to know everyone. This for me would be vital to my job. When I discussed it with my boss here she didn't seem very enthusiastic. She said "you wouldn't want to move out there would you?" I just said that I hadn't really thought about it. Her reply was "I was asked to put forward a list of people who might be interested but I didn't include you because of the dogs and Mr Midnite." Firstly I don't see that the two things are connected, I want to spend some time over there so I can do my job better. If other people want to transfer I don't see that this impacts my request. Secondly, who is she to make the decision about moving for me, I might have had a life long wish to live in Italy. Dogs and Mr Midnite are mobile, if I'd decided to go then Mr Midnite would need to make his own decision.
I think this and a few other things are putting me off staying but there are lots of new opportunities that I hope are well managed so that they work out. I'd like to stay for some of them.
But, there are some interesting looking alternatives. There are possibilities to move locally to other companies in the same industry or to change completely. I just can't decide if I should send my CV out and give something new a try.
I'm too good at risk assessment for big decisions, I see risks everywhere
When maybe I should be seeing possibilities
Anyway I haven't decided what to do yet, I haven't even attempted to update my CV yet. Lack of action is that an unconscious decision to stay put?
Hospital Humour Meets The Comedy Clinic. - You may have noticed I'm still not exactly active in the blogging world. Yep, I'm lurking in the background sharing your posts via the various social "not...
3 weeks ago